Wise Coalition for Healthy Children (WCHC)
Vision: All Wise County children have the opportunity to grow in a safe and loving environment free of abuse and neglect
When the coalition formed in 2011, coalition members chose to address child abuse prevention as their topic of focus. They do this by implementing programs to support positive parenting. Protective factors for healthy families include a supportive family network, support for basic needs, nurturing parenting skills, and communities that support parents and take ownership in preventing child abuse1. Positive parenting supports a child’s physical and social-emotional development and lifelong well-being. Childhood development affects academics, eating habits, relationships, and risk behaviors. Positive parenting is impacted by a parent’s knowledge, as well as their social, economic, & environmental factors.
1The Centers for Disease Control & Prevention. (2019). National Center for Injury Prevention and Control, Division of Violence Prevention.
Strategic plan objectives
- Engage Wise County community to improve children's health.
- Increase community awareness about good parenting and healthy children to support families and children.
- Promote healthy family relationships.
- Monitor and support children's health issues and community initiatives to reinforce a safe, secure and healthy community for children.
Our focus areas
- Parent Cafés - small, intimate settings that allow the opportunity to talk about their parenting successes and challenges, engage with others, share ideas and learn proven parenting tips and techniques. Parent café facilitator trainings are a 4-hour course led by a licensed professional in the community to train community members in the parent café model and teach facilitation skills.
- Child Abuse Prevention Month - in April, community partners come together to raise awareness of child abuse and encourage local organizations to support positive family environments.
- School Counselors Round Table - allows for discussion and networking of Wise County Counselors to discuss specific needs of the community they serve. They are hosted twice a year, typically in January/February and in July/August time frame.
Join our coalition
- Connect with the community and serve as a resource for child abuse prevention.
- Help children and families foster positive relationships.
- Network and education opportunities.
Questions or comments
If you have any questions or would like more information about our program, please email Jammie Josephson.